Friday, April 9, 2010

Leadership in the Community

The lecture on shared leadership in the home was probably one of my favorite lectures. I thought that Brother Hill had some excellent insights and I really enjoyed the lecture. Although I am not married and have no children right now, I feel like this topic was still applicable to my life as I am still part of a family, as a sister and daughter. However, the topic for this week is leadership in the community.

In lab, we watched the movie "Validation". At first I thought it was kind of weird, but by the end I could not stop smiling. It put me in such a good mood for the rest of the day. After leaving the class, I couldn't help but smile at everyone I walked by. Sure, I got a few weird looks from some people, but it still made me feel good.

Honestly, I think that just smiling and saying hello to people is one of the best ways to serve the community. I know that when I am walking around campus, when someone simply smiles at me, I'm put in an even better mood because of it. Awhile ago, I was thinking, and I realized that hey, if it makes me that happy, then why not pass that on to other people. Most people probably will not think anything of it, but you never know what might help someone else out!

I think another way to be a leader in the community is just to get out there and be involved. It doesn't mean starting up some foundation that will save the world (even though that would be awesome), but more, getting to know those that live around you. Although I grew up on the same street my whole entire life, I couldn't name more than 5 people that live on my street. However, one of my best friends grew up on a street only blocks away from me, where all the neighbors knew each other and were really good friends. That was because there were a couple of people on the block that made sure to get out and introudce themselves, and then organize events where they could all get to know each other better. I think doing things like this really brings a community together.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Blanchard Research and Training India LLP said...

Awesome! Its actually amazing piece of writing, I have got much clear idea concerning from this post. See more at:- http://www.blanchardinternational.co.in/